Magna Via Francigena by BikeFrom the bustling city of Palermo across the wild Sicani mountains to the city above the Valley of the Temples
Average riding distance per day: 35 km
Way type: Asphalt roads (mainly secondary roads), dirt tracks, paths
Guided tours for groups on request
We care! We support the nonprofits who take care of the camino and reserve a part of our income for maintenance projects.
Arrival to Palermo; welcome aperitif with briefing and bike fit. Travel pack delivery (if you have requested your credential* you will receive it by post or during the briefing).
Hotel/B&B overnight (dinner excluded).
Optional: Palermo street food tour or bike tour to get used to the bike and equipment.
Day 2 PALERMO – SANTA CRISTINA GELA (30 KM)
Breakfast at the hotel/B&B. Departure from Palermo Cathedral. First section to Monreale on busy roads. Stop at Monreale Cathedral for a stamp and a quick tour of the Unesco Site (lock up bicycle). Descent to valley and then climb to Santa Cristina Gela, one of Sicily’s Albanian Communities, mainly on low traffic roads. Check-in at the hotel. Dinner at the hotel. Don’t miss the ricotta-filled cannolo!
Day 3 SANTA CRISTINA GELA – CORLEONE (36 KM)
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure from Santa Cristina Gela. Ride past vineyards and the beautiful Piana Lake on quiet secondary roads. Arrive to Corleone. Check-in at hotel. Recommended visit to the CIDMA (No Mafia) Museum. Dinner at the hotel.
Day 4 CORLEONE – CASTRONOVO DI SICILIA (42 KM)
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure from Corleone. Ride past the beautiful canyon and continue on secondary roads towards the artificial lake of Prizzi. The climb to Prizzi, a beautiful stone village, is quite steep. A stop for lunch is recommended before you continue towards the beautiful Nature Reserve of Monte Carcaci at a few km from Castronovo, the very heart of this Cammino. Check-in at B&B. Dinner is not included. Pilgrims can enjoy a pilgrim’s menu at the town’s restaurant.
Day 5 CASTRONOVO DI SICILIA – SUTERA (42 KM)
Breakfast at the B&B. Gentle ride down towards the Platani River. Highlights: the Necropolis of Capelvenere with tombs carved out from a big rock. Stop at the Casale San Pietro. Don’t miss the Pilgrim’s cake at the Pasticceria Sparacello at Cammarata. After the climb to Cammarata follows a descent towards the valley, but there are still two climbs left, one to reach the small village of Acquaviva and the last one to reach the stone village of Sutera, overlooked by the impressive Monte San Paolino. Check-in at B&B. Dinner is not included.
Day 6 SUTERA – ARAGONA (42 KM)
Breakfast at the B&B. Ride down to Campofranco, continue to Racalmuto, Grotte and arrive to Aragona. Check-in at B&B. Dinner is not included.
DAY 7 ARAGONA – AGRIGENTO (22 KM)
Departure after breakfast. Ride towards Joppolo Giancaxio. Last climb to Agrigento, the last section is on a busy road. Arrive to the cathedral in Agrigento. Transfer to Palermo city/airport. End of our services.
Optional: extra night in Agrigento with visit to the Valley of the Temples.
This tour is subject to minor changes at any time depending on room availability in the smaller towns and possible changes to the itinerary.
* The pilgrim’s credential is issued by the nonprofit organisation “Amici dei Cammini Francigeni di Sicilia” who have researched and mapped out the walking itinerary. If you wish to cycle the Magna Via Francigena and enjoy pilgrim status (benefits include access to the pilgrim’s menus at select restaurants and the possibility of requesting a final completion certificate, the “Testimonium”) please request your credential online at www.magnaviafrancigena.it. With our nonprofit bicycle touring club “Ciclabili Siciliane” we have volunteered in mapping out the route for bicycles and we are entitled to deliver credentials to bike pilgrims upon request.
- 7 nights in a B&B, farm house or 3* hotel (breakfast + 2 dinners included)
- Specialized Sequoia touring bike or Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike with GPS device and pre-loaded tracks + 1 pannier (helmet and individual pedals on request)
- Bag transfer for each stage from Palermo to Agrigento
- Transfer from Agrigento to Palermo
- Helpline 24/7
- Technical assistance during the day (we provide puncture resistant tires but customers should be able to repair a flat tire)
- Detailed customer documentation including map and GPS tracks, accommodation vouchers
- Briefing & bike fit with aperitif on the day of arrival
- All meals except for breakfasts and two dinners
- Transfer from Airport of arrival to Palermo
- E-Bike supplement €100 per person; single supplement €210
- Optional tours in Palermo and Agrigento
- Travel & cancellation insurance
- Whatever is not listed as “included”
A guided tour is possible for groups of min. 6 people.
Make an enquiry to get a quotation.
Start – End
Map & Elevation Profile
Use the dynamic altitude chart to see all climbs along the route. Select your preferred map type from the available options on the top right position of the map. If you have activated the relevant function in your browser you will see a marker pointing to your current position.
Not enough adventure?
Do it on your own with our Camino-proof bikes!
Rent a Bike
Find out more about this Camino
Do it on your own with our Camino-proof bikes!